Friday, July 2, 2010

La Meije and more




















Bonjour all

Well we still haven't uploaded the photos - they are coming!

Tuesday was a pretty quiet day by all accounts. No-one was moving very fast or very far after the sagas of Monday. We spent a bit of time at the local cafe, and in the afternoon the thunder storms set in. They are so amazing here as we are nestled in among the mountains and the thunder is just so loud!

Wednesday signalled the end of my downhill running unfortunately. I did have a great adventure but it was just too much and how sick I am now feeling after running is just not worth it. The others all went riding, so Jenny and I drove to the top of the Notre Dame road. It is an awesome road, with some long dark tunnels and steep drop offs. Our original plan was to run back down the road through the tunnels with Jase and Meg's head torch, but when we reached the top we saw a sign posted track which looked a little more exciting. Unfortunately some of the run was flat and slightly uphill, and even though I walked these bits, it was too much.

Later that afternoon Meg and I went to the local pool for some sunbathing. It certainly isn't a lane swimming pool - chaos everywhere! Great to cool down at least - the weather here has really improved - we are now in the late 20's-early 30's.

That night our sink wasn't draining. I told the others not to worry because I have done some basic plumbing before, and that if I wasn't a physio, maybe I consider plumbing as I enjoy it (there would be one exception though - no toilets!). It seemed to cause widespread amusement as I sat down on the kitchen floor and proceeded to pull apart all the pipes. Jase G simply left the room, Jenny and Jase H disappeared, Matt got out the camera and started to take photos, the kids thought it was a great joke, and Meg was in histerics when she passed me a bowl to catch the water (and when I said..."ah yes - sometimes I don't fully think things through"). To sum up - they all had absolutely no faith in my plumbing abilities, and 'Voila' I fixed the problem myself!

Yesterday morning we all set off for La Grave. From there we caught a cable car up the mountain to 3200m. It was a beautiful day, and the scenery was absolutely spectacular - although I was initially a little nervous as the cable car crossed the valley - it was fairly high! We took some awesome photos which I (hmmm - actually still Jase!) will attach. In the afternoon we drove up the Alpe d'Huez to the La Marmotte race registration. It was a hugely painless experience given that there are 7000 entrants. I think Meg will be one of maybe 100 females in the event - it is pretty disappointing actually - where are all the girls???

Last night we all headed out to 'Hissing Sid's' restaurant - that is my new name for the grumpy hissing dutchman who owns it. Jenny and I saved us all from the hissing this time as we both ordered a wine, and the kids had a coke. This probably wasn't fully to his liking, but probably partially satisfied him. The food was great though, so I think we will be back!

Well today is the day before the race - everyone is relaxing, and I am doing some last minute physio work on the team. Will let you all know how it all goes!!!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment