Monday, June 28, 2010

Saga's gallore!

Bonjour
Well we now have a full house. Megan and Jason arrived on Thursday on their touring bikes. Jase had had to go to the UK again for work, so it was just me holding the fort. I was at the local cafe when they arrived - sitting in the sun and learning my French. The touring bikes, when fully laiden are so heavy to ride - I can't believe how they can even ride them over the mountains!

On Friday I took Jase (H) and Meg to our favourite bike shop and provided 'fashion' advice (yes CW - clearly my forte!) for them while they picked out a new cycle outfit each. Then we just cruised around the town for the day and enjoyed the sun.

On Saturday, Jase (H) and Meg picked up their rental road bikes for the race and then went for a spin to the place the locals call "the end of the World". I think Jase thought the name was apt as he was not too comfortable on his bike, and also punctured. I went to the pool in the morning and the lady at the pool enjoys my attempts at French so much that she let me in for free! Then I drove to Lyon airport and picked Jase (G) up. Poor Jase had been victim of the French air traffic control strike and had been delayed at the airport all day on the way up to the UK.

That night it was out for dinner to our favourite restaurant. The meal was good but the boss actually hissed at us when we said we only wanted to drink water - he said "not in my restaurant"! Needless to say we haven't been back - I hope we get over it as I do actually like the place!

On Sunday I sat in the sun and learnt French , while Jase G, Jase H, and Meg went for a ride. Just after lunch time I got an SOS text from them - Jase H's rental bike's stem had come loose and could not be tightened as the bolts were the wrong size. I was given sketchy (at best) directions to find Jase at a tiny village called La Vallette on the La Mure route - I had no idea where this was and had no money on my phone so had to somewhat 'wing it'. I used Jase's cell phone to ring the number they had called from but got the answer phone of some French guy they had stopped so that was no help! Luckily on my way I remembered the French CD.... Phonetically.... kel aye la hoot der Pari (basically is this the route to Paris?).... so when I was lost on a tiny country road in the sticks and spotted a farmer and his son walking on the road I was able to pull this out.... yes I am not that stupid - I did interchange Pari with La Vallette! Anyway I finally found a rather disgruntled Jason Hopper on the side of the road who had renamed his bike the "Black Bitch". Another hour in the car to return, and the bike was taken back to the shop!! He has since been in to the 'premium' bike shop and upgraded his bike - now a carbon Orbea so he is happy! The Jones family arrived Sunday night and we all went out for dinner to a new place - quite nice, but not the same as my favourite place... I may forgive the hissing man yet...

Well today is Monday and it has been an interesting day to say the least. Jase (G), Jase (H), Matthew and Megan all set off on their bikes to the Glandon and Croix de Fer. I wanted to go too, so decided the next best thing (sort of...grrrr) was to go in the car and take photos of them riding and then join them for coffee at the Croix de Fer. Jenny, Claudia and Lucy headed off to Allemont to the market.

It was a beautiful sunny day, so Matthew and Jase (H) decided to continue and pre-ride the Marmotte course. Jase (G) biked back to Bourg and Meg came back in the car with me. When home we went and did some groceries, then I headed up to the pool at Vaujany. I was furious when I got there (30mins on windy road) and realised that it was Monday and that the pool was always closed on Mondays... grrrrrr. I needed to do some exercise for my own sanity so I drove via Villard Reculas and the balcony road (scary narrow cliff road) to the Alpe d'Huez pool. I didn't get home until about 7.15pm - thinking I had had a terrible saga... needless to say this was nothing!

Megan had received a call from the two boys out riding - they were in a cafe at Valloire - the weather had turned! They reached Valloire in the sun, but then as they approached the top of the Galibier a storm set in - hail, snow, and freezing cold! They were simply unable to descend as the road down the other side was white with hail. Luckily for them an elderly couple were at the top of the climb in a van and gave them a ride back to Valloire. The couple asked them if they were training for the Tour de France, so I think they were secretly happy with that!

This time it was Jenny's turn to respond to the SOS call (and luckily for me I wasn't home yet!). Unfortunately Matthew left my cell phone behind in the couple's van and the battery is also flat, so Jenny was unable to contact the boys again and spent a good hour in Valloire looking for them. They have just arrived home (10.45pm!) - needless to say a long long day!

Well not much more to report - will attach some photos tomorrow.

Bon nuit
Jeanette

No comments:

Post a Comment