Thursday, June 10, 2010

Marmottes and Budgies



















Bonjour everyone

Well it has been pretty hot here - up to 30 degrees with sun too, which is a nice change from Germany!

Last Saturday Jase rode the Marmotte course (with the exception of the Alpe d'Huez at the end). He rode with a guy from the Netherlands who is a cycle guide over here and is also training for the Marmotte event. I won't even attempt to write his name as I can barely even pronounce it! He did the Marmotte last year and came off down the Glandon when a rider punctured in front of him. He fell off a bank several meters down and suffered 3 compression fractures of his Thoracic spine. Just an aside (if possum man and the Hoppers are reading), the descent off the Glandon is dodgey as. I drove the Marmotte with the guys and it was terrible in the car, but both guys said it was dodgey to ride. The road is extremely narrow, and it won't be closed to traffic during the race which is unbelievable so you will have to take care. There are other added obstacles - as I drove around one corner I had to slam on the brakes as a whole lot of cows had got out and were lingering on the road. They just wouldn't move for me - it took me at least 5mins to get past - and they wouldn't even respond to my cow lingo (yes - English, French, and bovine! I am multi-lingual) of Moooooove it! Mooooove it!

The cycle guide is starting in the first 400 riders (these spots are saved for the top riders), and he is aiming for 6.5hrs. After riding the route Jase has reassessed his goals - it is damn hard - especially in the heat, and he reckons anything under 8 hrs is pretty good. I took some photos of the day which Jase will attach. We stopped at the Latauret at an awesome spot for lunch, then Jase remounted and headed back to Bourg (my new name for this place as I now consider myself a local!).

Amongst all my frustration I do in fact have some good news! I can actually run and walk down hill without any problem! (well - that is aside from a fairly descent dose of DOMS!). Jase drives me up hill and I run down - it is great here as they are not hills - they are mountains. So I can actually get a good run in! I started gently - 17mins, and the next few days I could barely walk! The next run was 22mins, and yesterday was a whopping 40mins downhill! My legs are not too sore today either. Fully stoked. It seems if I really reduce the psoas requirement I am fine. Yay!

On Sunday Jase just did an easy recovery ride, so we cruised around the town and checked out the shops etc. We went into the outdoors shop and I bought 2 maps and managed to tell the owner in French that I am injured and can walk and run downhill but not uphill - and then asked him where he recommended I go! I am not sure on my sentence structuring but he eventually got the idea and then spoke to me in English as I think he was finding the conversation speed rather painful! I then asked him if he sold budgie smugglers so Jase could go swimming! (not in those terms!). Jase wasn't too happy about this, but I think he will struggle if it gets really hot without being able to swim! He opted for the hilarious German 'hot pant' variety, but moans that they feel uncomfortable and tight! He refused to model them for this, so I had to suffice with a photo of them placed on the floor.

Sunday afternoon I convinced him to come to the outdoor pool with me. As we were wandering down, Jase reported that the sky looked very ominous - then a few drops of rain were all it took for him to mention coffee instead of the pool. Lucky for him I wasn't too motivated on swimming either, so we went and had coffee instead. Truth beknown, he was not quite ready to wear his 'hot pants' in public (he still hasn't worn them actually!).

On Monday morning I drove Jase to Lyon airport (just over an hour and a half away), as he had to go to Scotland for 2 days work. I then drove back here and headed up the Alpe d'Huez for a look around and a swim in the indoor pool up there. I checked out 2 beautiful lakes (Lac Besson and Lac Noir) - photos above. Then I went back into the town and had coffee at a small restaurant before heading to the pool. I swam 2kms and felt really sick afterwards. I was short of breath and my whole face was tingling. The altitude really seemed to affect me - it is 1860m. Afterwards I tried my French on the lady at the desk, and she taught me some more words. Man it is tres difficile (very difficult!). They just speak so fast!

Tuesday morning I went back up the Alpe and this time swam 1.5km, and didn't feel sick at all afterwards. I also went straight to the pool and didn't spend several hours up there first. It is also interesting that I get no goggle marks at altitude - in Germany I had huge rings around my eyes for several hours after swimming. After the swim I found a perfect spot to learn some French - The photo is above - it had an awesome view, a picnic table, noone around, and even a toilet, with refreshments in the car! What more could I need! After doing some stretching, core stability work (yes I am mad!) and studying French for a few hours, I headed back via a mountain top village called Villard Reculas. The road was quite scary to drive - extremely narrow and along a massive cliff. There are some photos above taken on my drive, looking down on the town of Bourg d'Oisans (or simply Bourg if you are cool!). I stopped at a look out and there was a tiny triangular paddock right on the mountain top completely packed full of goats (photo above)! I could hear barking, and thought that these must be a particular type of mountain goat that bark.... then the high protector of the goats appeared! A tiny little white dog nestled right in the middle of the paddock - it was hilarious!

Later that day I ventured into Bourg and ordered a coffee (at you guessed it - the usual place!). I like to go there as the coffee is big and the lady is good to practise my French on as she is very patient! By the way, those who are coming over - don't think of getting me to change from this favourite coffee place. It won't happen! I sat outside in the sun at the shop and learnt some more French with my ipod. I am up to lesson 29 of 90 lessons, but they are getting damn hard now!

Wednesday morning I went to pick Jase up. When we arrived back we went to a really awesome place for lunch. I was gutted as I asked for a table for 2 in French, and the guy responded in English. grrrrrrrrrr!

Well that is enough waffle from me! I hope everyone is well. Really looking forward to seeing some of you very soon!

Au revior
Jeanette

5 comments:

  1. Hey Guys, really enjoying reading your blog, we're so jealous, specially with Le Tour looming. Guessing your going to be out watching the Dauphine come through town later today. Sky are broadcasting 1-2 hours coverage per day so we'll be looking out for you on Alpe d' Huez!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guys, thanks for the comments. We will be heading up the Alpe later this afternoon. We are going to the finish this time, so should be exciting!! Hope you are both well. J&J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jase, you go ahead and wear the swimmers - when in France and all that.... however, if you try to return them to NZ you may get intercepted at customs!!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just watched back the last couple of hours of the Dauphine, from just before the Col du Glandon through to Alpe d'Huez. What a battle between Contador and Brajkovic! Sara's letting me watch as much cycling as I like, I think she figures the more I watch the easier it will be to talk me into a return trip next year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Sara!! You guys would absolutely love it here in Bourg d'Oisans. It is a great place. I thought the togs would have been quite enticing for you Dean also...
    Yeah it was a really exciting stage - we were at the finish just by the big screen - got to see the race on the big screen - then stood up to watch the sprint finish up the home straight. Fully exciting!

    ReplyDelete