Monday, July 12, 2010

Glacier and Lakes

Bonjour

Well the mad little Irish woman (Titch) has landed as you will see from the photos (when I get around to putting them on...yes me - I can finally almost do it myself!).

Yesterday we all went to La Grave and then up to La Meije glacier via the cable car. It was a beautiful day and the views were amazing. We also went to the under glacier ice sculpture museum which was absolutely awesome.

When we arrived back Jase, Christine and I sat glued to the Tour de France on TV while Mum, Lex and Pauline hired mountain bikes and cruised around the streets of Bourg and up to a waterfall on an 'Off Road" track (!!). I am gutted for Lance - he is my hero and I am so disappointed that he had such a day of bad luck that has cost him any chance in the tour... on the upside he may have more time for PR, so my chances of meeting him may be increased!! Lance stalking begins tomorrow when we head to Saint Jean de Maurienne to watch the end of the 9th stage.

Last night we headed out to 'hissing sid's' (aka La Ramonche) restaurant. I have forgiven the hissing dutchman as his restaurant really is the best in town. I have also buttered him up by ordering wine, and informing him that if Spain won the World Cup, NZ would be the only undefeated team in the competition. He seemed to find this amusing and congratulated us!

The entire restaurant was filled with Dutch supporters, and one poor lone Spanish supporter! It was a pretty good atmosphere and good to see the result of NZ being the only undefeated team (hopefully my facts are right!!).

Today Christine and Jase set off for a ride, and Mum, Lex, Pauline and I headed up to the Vaujany pool for my well needed dose of endorphins. Then this afternoon we all went up the Alpe d'Huez and the beautiful lakes above it. This was followed by a 4 euro coffee (!!) and back to Bourg for Christine's vegetarian cooking. Lex didn't quite know what to make of this, but think he may have been pleasantly surprised that vegetarian food can be ok afterall!

It is super hot tonight, so we all headed out for a walk after dinner and ended up at our favourite cafe. Not sure my waitress friend Marina knew what to expect when 'the circus' arrived! I have also made friends with 'Vegas' - a huge dog who lived just down the road. I have also spoken with the girl who owns him several times, and she has helped with my French. She saw me in town and came over and told me that Vegas died on Saturday - gutted...

If anyone needs to contact me in my cell phone has been returned.

J

2 comments:

  1. Hello Happy People, my goodness my lunch-hour has just whizzed by, catching up on all the adventures of the J & J brigade!!!!! Am sitting on the 7th floor of Vodafone in North Sydney, looking down the sparkling blue-water of the harbour .... but wishing I was riding around the French country-side :-) Hope all is well, keep smiling! Ben kiwibenfield@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how did the 'Lance stalking' go? Hope you got to say hi ;-)

    ReplyDelete