Saturday, July 10, 2010

Back in the Alpes



















Bonjour

Well we had a great time in Paris. On the final day we went to Sacre Coeur, wandered down through the markets, went on a boat ride on the Seine, looked at the shops, and even saw a guy we went to Physed School with 15 years ago when we were under the Eiffel Tour.

On Thursday we all travelled back to the Alpes - it was an experience for the parents who had to contend with some walking with their luggage, 2 Metro rides, and then the TGV to Lyon, and finally 1.30-2hr car journey to our paradise home of Bourg d'Oisans.

It has been so hot the last few days - 30-35 degrees! Yesterday Jase and Christine set off on their bikes to the Galibier, so I drove Mum, Pauline and Lex up there via La Grave, and the Col du Lautaret. Mum was a little nervous on the steep mountain roads, and Lex was told off several times for being a 'front seat driver' but we all coped well! We met the cyclists at the top of the Galibier, then headed down to the Lautaret for some lunch. I practised my French to the waiter and reminded him that last time I was there it was freezing and he had given me a bath robe to keep warm. Mum then tried some of her French on the waiter - she told him the restaurant was very comfortable - he couldn't stop laughing and said that a woman shouldn't say that... we are still unsure why!

Later that afternoon everyone (other than Jase who opted for his 2nd cooking night of the trip!!) came to the Vaujany pool with me. I swam for 1hr, and everytime I swam up the pool and breathed to the right I could see Lex, Pauline, Mum and Christine doing their own water aerobics class in the middle of the pool. Jase would have been relieved he didn't come!

Last night we headed into town for the local 'Cabaret evening' - i.e., some French geezer singing old songs badly (some in French, some in English, and some half and half). Lex is most intrigued by receipts for anything we have done or eaten, and to Pauline's disgust is collecting them all. I find it particularly useful as it is like having a portable rubbish bin with us! I even cleaned out my wallet the other day and he claimed a few things!

This morning Jase and Lex drove Mum, Christine and I to the village of Notre Dame. Poor Mum was beside herself on the drive up - the road is not great to be fair - massive drop offs and a tiny narrow road. I don't think she will be so concerned about the roads in the Sounds any more! Mum, Christine and I then walked along the mountain and then down a bush track from the top back into the village of Bourg.

Now I am off to Grenoble airport to pick up the mad little Irish woman - aka Titch!

Will attach photos soon
J

No comments:

Post a Comment