Monday, June 11, 2012

Paradise.... Cala Galdana, Menorca
















Hola from Menorca, Spain!  Well we are actually back in Prague today.... We have just had an amazing 5 days and 6 nights in Cala Galdana, Menorca (one of the Belearic Islands off the coast of Spain).  I absolutely love this place - it is paradise!!  Jase, Christine, Titch, Greg and I went there in 2008, and I loved it so much I decided it would be a good place to take Mum. 

We flew out from Prague to Barcelona on Tuesday afternoon last week.  We had 5 hours at Barcelona airport which I thought would be a nightmare, but it turned out to be pretty good.  We enjoyed a nice meal at a restaurant at the airport with heaps of vegetables, which we had been really missing.  Then we cruised around the shops, and even got to watch some of the Dauphine on the airport TVs.  The next flight to Mahon Airport on Menorca was really short - I think about 35-40mins total flying time.  We arrived at Mahon at 10.30pm and I think by the time we reached Cala Galdana it was around 11pm. 

We had a fantastic time at Cala Galdana.  There is an awesome rocky and rugged coastal track that goes around the entire island of Menorca, and each morning Mum would walk part of the track while I would run.  Just beautiful!  We explored heaps of little beaches and coves, but there is just so much more terrain to cover!  There were quite a few mountain bikers on the track too - I would love to go back with my mtb as it would be possible to get so much further than we were able to on foot.

The afternoons were spent swimming and relaxing on the beach.  Bliss!

On our second night, we were so tired from our days adventures (Mum had walked 3.5 hours, and I had run 1hr 15 and walked 3hrs) that we couldn't be bothered walking down the hill from our hotel to the restaurants on the beach.  Instead we went to one just down from the hotel that we had both agreed the day before looked decidedly average - we were tired from sun and exercise so we didn't care.  Well - what a delicious meal!!  We loved the home made vegetable paella so much, that we went back and had the same thing 4 nights in a row!  The waiter didn't even bother to bring us the menu!  On our last night he arrived at the table with some super strong alcholic liquour.... Man!  I could barely walk in a straight line to the hotel - Mum of course said I was over-reacting... but man it was strong!

We flew back to Prague today.  We are here until Wednesday, and then Jase, Mum and I will fly to London for 4 days.  I am beginning to feel like a real jet setter!

Hope the snow has melted away at home.  We watched a video on YouTube of the train in Arthurs Pass - incredible!

Take care
J

No comments:

Post a Comment