Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Lost...

Hi all - sorry no photos yet. We lost the camera attachments in the move after the EQ so once we have new ones we can put some photos up.

Yesterday was filled with viewing apartments. We think we have found one - and very near a cool park (Divoka Sarka) where we went for a fun ride the day before. Jase is negotiating the price at the moment (standard practise over here), but looks like it will be confirmed tomorrow. Yay! I love the location and the apartment is nice.

Today was Jase's first day at work. It has turned out to be an epic - so he is pretty tired. I got up to let Jase out of the building in the morning (3 separate doors to unlock, and we only have one set of keys). I then set about doing some hand washing. There are no washing facilities here which is not ideal when exercising each day!

Today was my first attempt at navigating my way on my own around Prague. We can't seem to find a detailed road map of Prague anywhere, so I used 'google directions' to guide me to a park that has some mtb single track - called Prokopske Udoli. I decided to tell google I was on foot rather than driving so to avoid any major highways. I wrote down all the instructions very carefully, as I knew getting lost here could be a disaster!

I set off on my ride at around 9am... all good for a start.... but then not so good! Let's just say a 13.7km ride to the park ended up taking me 3hrs (i.e., not 13.7km!). In my defence it is so hard here as the streets are really poorly sign posted - coupled with the fact that nobody I asked (about 50 people all up!) could speak English, and when I showed them the names of the streets on the paper they had no idea where they were anyway! I even stopped at a bus stop and asked a girl (who did speak a little English) what the busy street (2 lanes each way) where she was catching the bus was called - she had no idea! I was so frustrated that I then proceeded up the line of people waiting for the bus and asked them one by one and none of them knew! Unfortunately the bus driver wasn't there at that stage. I was getting severely frustrated by now, and by the time I asked the 5th person in the line and got a shrug of the shoulders, I said "Oh Jesus" out loud! I had had a guts full and wondered if I would ever find the park, and worse still, get home again!!

When I got to the park I just wanted to get off my bike and go home I was so annoyed! But I had made considerable effort to get there so biked for a good 2 hrs there - it was ok, but not as good as the Sarka park we had biked 2 days earlier. My thoughts of it were probably somewhat tainted however by the ordeal to get there. I won't go back by bike as the roads were scary! Cars were zooming past me at about 130 km/hr! - and that was the 'quiet' route!

By the time I got home it was 3.30pm! Tomorrow I will go somewhere quieter (i.e., the country).

Not much more to report for now. Hope to get my bearings soon. I can't be riding for this long every day!

J

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear how you are getting on. Apartment sounds good - hope it all works out for you :-) look fwd to hearing your next installment! Ps. Google maps might turn out to be your most useful companion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could take a map with you and czech it as you go :-)

    ReplyDelete